Resilient Land Design
Resilient Land Design (RLD) is an 18 week advanced permaculture course focused on: understanding natural systems and cycles, learning tools of regenerative land stewardship, and methods for applying restorative principles in design. The course is divided into three 6 week sessions which can be taken together for a Resilient Land Design (RLD) Certificate or individually for personal growth and education.
- Module one: WATER & SITE DESIGN
- Module two: SOIL & ANIMALS
- Module three: FOOD FOREST AND FOREST ECOLOGY
*To earn a certificate students must complete assigned homework and readings
1. WATER & SITE DESIGN
- Location: Virtual
- Dates: March 9- April 13, 2023
- Time: Thursday, 6:00-8:00 pm PST
- Helpful Tool: Time Zone Converter
2. SOIL & ANIMALS
- Location: Virtual
- Dates: May 11th -June 15th, 2023
- Time: Thursdays, 6:00-8:00pm PST
3. FOOD FORESTS &
- Location: Virtual
- Dates: Sept 14th- Oct 19th, 2023
- Times: Thursdays, 6:00-8:00 pm PST
Registration for 2024 sessions opens in September.
- Site Design Feb 8th – Feb 22nd
- Urban and Rural Water Management March 14th – April 2nd
- Soil & Animals May 9th – June 13th
- Food Forests & Forest Ecology September 12th – October 17th
RESILIENT LAND DESIGN CERTIFICATE
FINDING HOPE IN RESILIENCE
Regenerative farmers are the new climate champions.
To prevent global catastrophe, we need to stop emitting carbon and draw carbon dioxide down from the atmosphere. The best way to do that is by persevering wild spaces, and implementing regenerative farming, ranching, and forestry practices. We need to grow vibrant living systems to sequester atmospheric carbon and create resilient systems to mitigate disasters such as fire, flood, and drought.
Permaculture design and regenerative agriculture are climate solutions, which need people like you, to grow the future.
This program will take you deeper into the tools and techniques of regenerative design!
Half the farmland in North America is due to change hands in the next two decades as farmers age out.
It is vital that the new stewards of that land know how to manage it in ways that contribute to global healing.
Two thirds of the worlds population will live in cities by 2050.
It is equally vital that city dwellers know what regenerative land stewardship looks like and promote regenerative policies and practices in their regions.
Our friends and families need a clean healthy world -The world needs allies and advocates for regenerative future.
You are concerned about climate change, ecosystem degradation, and climate justice– and want to make a positive difference
Resilient Land Design is for you if:
- You earned a Permaculture Design Certificate or have practical Permaculture experience.
- You have a deep love for the Earth and the natural world
- You want to expand your knowledge of permaculture and go deeper into some of the topics that most interest you
- You have land–even a backyard or urban garden–and want to learn how to make it thrive
- You hope to get land in the future and want the skills and tools to run a regenerative homestead, urban farm, ranch, or retreat space
- You want to learn solutions, and hopeful approaches to some of our most dire problems
- You want to prepare for a career in the field of environmental sustainability
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Advanced Permaculture Certificate in Resilient Land Design program consists of three courses, six weeks each
- Choose your learning journey: Invest in a specialization or take all three courses to complete your certificate
- To earn a certificate students must complete assigned homework and readings
- We offer sliding scale tuition and payment plans to make our courses as accessible as possible
- Price for each course: Abundant Tuition: $500
Standard Tuition: $400
Resilient Tuition: $300
- See below for details
- All amounts are in US dollars
SCHOLARSHIPS & DISCOUNTS
- Diversity Scholarships and Group Discounts available? Yes!
- Alumni Discount: Students retaking any course (one, two, or three together): $100 total
- Keep reading below for details
WATCH: “Taking Your Permaculture Education Further” with Teachers: Starhawk, Charles Williams, Wanda Stewart, and Sunshine Rose Claymore
NOTE FROM STARHAWK
Permaculture Friends, thank you to the hundreds of you who joined us to discuss going further with your permaculture education in breadth and depth. We discussed:
- What’s beyond the standard course design?
- How do we offer more training and skill building?
- How do we reach and serve diverse communities?
We are grateful to everyone who came together to co-create community with us for this event.
Recording is ASL interpreted for the Deaf community and includes closed captions.
Deepen your study and practice of the science and strategies of
regenerative design for land and communities.
Take all three sessions for a certificate or any one to deepen your knowledge.
COURSE WILL COVER
SITE ANALYSIS & RESTORATIVE DESIGN
- Orientation, Ecoliteracy, and Citizen Science. Introduction to ecology, citizen science, and record keeping from a land restoration perspective along with indigenous approaches to land and cultural competency
- Holistic Goal-Setting and Design Principles. Practice holistic goal-setting and development plans. Learn how to write and design quality management plans
- Mapping, Site Analysis, and Systems Theory. Learn the needs of a site and to design clear and effective maps for clients and community organizations. Explore the power of thinking in systems and how to apply ecological system centered designs
WATER HARVESTING & LAND RESTORATION
- Water Harvesting, Water Cycles, Drought, and Flood Control. Learn the intricacies of how water moves in the landscape, how human systems impact this movement. Delve into strategies for water harvesting and retention along with flood and drought mitigation.
- Water in the Landscape: Erosion Control and Stream Restoration. Learn about water remediation strategies in urban and rural systems. Explore techniques for healing degraded lands suffering from erosion, drought, and water pollution
- Water Management Plans and Case Studies. Review case studies around water management and write your own water management plan.
COURSE WILL COVER
BUILDING SOIL & CARBON
- Soil Analysis. Learn the ecology behind regenerative theory of soil management. Gain skills in soil biology, chemistry, and structural analysis.
- Strategies for Soil Healing and Management. Examine regenerative soil strategies ranging from small urban settings to large-scale farming systems. Learn how to build and maintain healthy soils through techniques such as no-till, compost teas, ferments, crop covers, biochar.
- Applied learning. Take what is taught in class and apply it in the real world. Through class exercises and case studies write your own soil management plan.
LAND MANAGEMENT WITH ANIMALS & FIRE
- Integrating Animals Into Ecological Systems. Learn how to design wildlife and domestic animals into systems for resilience and restoration.
- Practical Soil Management with Animals. Explore the role of animals in building soil, sequestering carbon, and improving ecological resilience.
- Perennial Systems Thinking: Integrate animals, perennial plants and a systems approach to write your own holistic animal and perennial system design.
COURSE WILL COVER
DEVELOPMENT & CARE OF FORESTS
- Forest Ecology. Explore the intricacies of forest ecology, disturbance and succession, forest architecture, and fungal/bacterial relationship. Gain skills in reading and understanding your local forests.
- Applied Forestry Learn forest measurement, analysis and best management practices (BMP). Apply what you learn in class to your context ranging from classic rural woodlands or complex urban forests.
- Forest Management Plans. Using concepts from class write a forest management plan.
FOOD FORESTS & PERENNIAL SYSTEMS
- Designing and Building Food Forests. Learn how to approach food forest design, ranging from how to select cultivars to how to arrange your plans for beneficial relationships
- Management of Trees and Food Forests. Gain tools and techniques for food forest maintenance and care. Learn how to adapt food forest theory to a range of places and spaces.
- Building a Design. Building from what was discussed in class design a food forest for your region and write a plan for management and maintenance.
FUNDING YOUR EDUCATION
We are dedicated to making this course work for you, and offer a range of options for payment.
- Full Access. For Students looking to get the most out of this course. You will get full access to all course materials and ability to earn a certificate. Sliding scale tuition $300-$500 / module
- Audit Student. Student who are looking to only attend the live sessions: ($150-$250)
- Alumni. Those who want a refresher or complete certificate. You need to have take this course with us before ($100/module)
- Payment Plan for Certificate Students. Four part payment plans ($100 down with 3 monthly payments of $100)
- Diversity scholarships. Available for indigenous and people of color working in environmental or food justice
- Group Discounts. For those who are for coming as a group of 2 or more people.
Every Abundant Tuition helps support a Diversity Scholarship.
All prices are per session prices and in US dollars
This includes weekly live sessions, access to online class materials, access to google classroom. Certificate requires completion of homework and readings.
- Abundant Tuition: $500
- Standard Tuition: $400
- Resilient Tuition: $300
AUDIT COURSE PRICE
This only includes weekly live class sessions.
- Abundant Tuition: $250
- Standard Tuition: $200
- Resilient Tuition: $150
- All amounts are in US dollar
- Payment of $100 when you register.
- Three monthly installments of $100 ($400 total).
- Our Student Support Team will assist you in setting up this process
- Groups of 2-5 people – Discount of $125 off each ($275 total for each person)
- Cohort of 6-10 people – Discount of $150 off each ($250 per person)
- Must indicate who all is in your group at registration
- Earth Activist Training is committed to increasing the diversity of global permaculture and regenerative land movements
- We recognize the history of this land called the United States and Canada and seek to do what we can to rectify the deep injustices and systems of inequity that formed and continue to shape society today
Supported by your donations, a select number of pay-what-you-can Diversity Scholarships are available for Indigenous Peoples and Peoples of Color working in environmental and food justice.
- These scholarships are pay-what-you-can with the recommended value of 50% of standard tuition ($200), but any amount will be accepted and appreciated
If you have any questions we are always here to help: email@example.com
MEET Your Teachers
WHAT COMES NEXT
A core component of this course – and every Earth Activist Training course – is our private forum: Earth Activist Training Online network. This platform is where you will find course resources, your homework, and a network to connect with classmates and other Earth Activist students.
Recordings of each class will be available to you as a resource. You will have access to the course for a year after the course ends should you want to deepen your understanding of the material.
(If you have trouble registering on a mobile phone, please try a computer)
Check out when our programs and events are taking place.
Join our announcement list
Want to be notified of EAT course updates and new program information? Sign up to join our list.