Earth Activist Training
PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE(PDC)
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
September 16th 2023 to June 8th, 2024
Are you ready to become an Earth Healer?
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Location: Ecology Action Center Halifax, NS Canada
- Dates: Sept 16th, 2023 – June 8th, 2024
- Time: Saturday’s 9am -6pm once-a-month, with one weekend long intensive in the spring of 2024
- A certificate will be awarded upon successful completion of this course.
- Completion includes attending classes and submitting a final design project.
- We are dedicated to making our courses as accessible as possible.
- Tuition: $600 per person, in addition to the food & accommodation costs for spring weekend intensive.
- Diversity scholarships available, see below.
ABOUT THIS COURSE
Becoming an Earth Healer
Earth Activist Training’s Permaculture Design Course is an intensive that combines theory and practical hands-on learning with a grounding in spirit and a focus on social justice and ecofeminism. Come learn practical earth healing and gain the skills to regenerate land and community. We use a diverse set of teaching tools that encourage experiential and participatory learning, combining theory with practice, lectures with hands-on projects, sound science with ritual, meditation, song and story—and lots of fun! We will challenge consumerism, and explore ways to advocate for and create a culture of sustainability, compassion and equity.
Completion of the course earns participants a Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC) – the foundation for further permaculture work and study and a prerequisite for the Diploma in Permaculture Design. Participants will learn Permaculture design principles & techniques. The PDC covers a broad range of subjects to provide a holistic overview of Permaculture systems and sustainable living.
Topics & Themes
- Evidence for change & the ethics of sustainability
- Principles of permaculture
- Observation & landscape analysis
- Ecological planning & design methods
- Organic food production and food security
- Climatic factors in design
- Soils: natural soil improvement
- Integrated animal systems
- Water : harvesting, conservation, and management
- Agroforestry & forest gardening
- Appropriate technologies & renewable energy systems
- Mapping & design exercises
- Techniques and design strategies for both urban & rural applications
- Ecovillages & sustainable human settlements
- Cultivating inner sources of hope and resilience
- Honoring ancestral and indigenous wisdom
Where can I go after the Course?
- Embark on new farming practices
- Start a permaculture diploma program
- Find ways of dramatically reducing energy consumption
- Begin land-based ventures & small businesses such as: nurseries, landscape design consultancies, etc.
- Realize goals towards self-sufficiency
City dwellers have found that even with little or no land, permaculture shows them how to work with their home to produce food, reduce energy needs, live more ecologically and in closer connection with their communities. Educators, farm advisers, international development workers, garden directors, builders, master gardeners, and landscape architects have all reported that what they’ve learned in this course has become a foundation for their work. Farmers, nursery owners, foresters and livestock farmers have all found that permaculture design has multiplied their incomes, reduced their work, and improved the health of their stock.
This course aims to be a courageous space for people who are/were exposed to any form of discrimination. Welcome!
In the spring of 2024, the class will spend a weekend at the Deanery Project for a hands-on intensive. This intensive will be a time to practice many of the concepts we talk about in class and see examples of permaculture in action.
Spring intensive date will be set by the participants and weekend site costs will be in additon to course base cost.
Payment & Accommodation
We are dedicated to making this course work for you, and offer a range of options for payment.
- Certificate Student. For Students looking to get the most out of this course. Full registration $600, covers all course instruction.
- Payment Plan for Certificate Students. Pay as you go $75/class (total of$675), covers all course instruction.
- Non-Certificate Students. Students looking to attend only selected classes and not wanting a certificate can attend individual session for $75/class.
- Diversity scholarships. Available for indigenous and people of color (See below for details.)
- Group Discounts. For those who are coming as a group of 3 or more people. $550/person
Earth Activist Training is committed to increasing the diversity of global permaculture and regenerative land movements. Permaculture teaches us to look at patterns, and we see a recurring pattern of devaluing and dehumanizing People of Color that extends back through the centuries, including the histories of enslavement, the genocide of indigenous peoples, segregation, exploitation and much more. In acknowledgement, we offer diversity scholarships as a from of reparations.
Supported by donations, a select number of pay-what-you-can Diversity Scholarships are available for Indigenous Peoples and People of Color working towards environmental and food justice.
These scholarships are pay-what-you-can with the recommended value of 50% tuition ($300), but any amount is accepted and appreciated.
Your fees include
- A life-changing learning experience
- Skills in regenerative living
- A PDC Certificate
- Digital resources
- Connection to the larger permaculture community
- And much more!
MEET YOUR TEACHERS
THE EARTH ACTIVIST TRAINING DIFFERENCE
Grounding in spirit and a focus on organizing and activism
Exploring solutions for climate change– and the strategies and organizing tools to implement them
Creating strength and abundance through biomimicry– human systems that learn from natural systems
Learning principles and practices for how to read the landscape, build healthy soil, clean water, and design integrated and sustainable food systems
Social Permaculture = RESILIENCE
Social permaculture is the Earth Activist Training difference. It teaches us how to organize our human communities, resolve conflicts, make decisions, and work together effectively to maintain our spirits.
We are continuously looking to enhance our current online trainings with the magic of our in-person gatherings which are taught interactively including songs, ceremony, and a variety of practical, hands-on, outdoor projects.
Graduates of Earth Activist Training’s courses are recognized for their excellence by the Permaculture Institute of North America (PINA) . All graduates from this Permaculture Design Course will be registered with PINA.
A component every Earth Activist Training course – is our private forum: Earth Activist Training Online network. This platform is where you will find course resources and a network to connect with classmates and other Earth Activist students.
Check out when our programs and events are taking place.
Join our announcement list
Want to be notified of EAT course updates and new program information? Sign up to join our list.