FOOD FORESTS & FOREST ECOLOGY
Concerned about creating extra food sources as the climate changes?
Come learn with us how to design and build food forests for your family, farm, and community.
Sign up with members of your community to benefit from our group discounts.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Taught by our lead teachers, Starhawk and Charles Williams. Starhawk and Charles are both internationally recognized permaculture instructors with over 20 years of teaching
- Classes are live and recordings will be available within 48 hours
- Resources and recordings on the virtual class platform will be available for a year after the course completes
- Location: Virtual
- Dates: September 22-October 27, 2022 (6 weeks)
- Timing: Thursdays, 6:00-8:00 pm PST
Helpful Tool: Time Zone Converter
- We offer sliding scale tuition and payment plans to make our courses as accessible as possible
- Abundant Tuition: $600
- Standard Tuition: $500
- Resilient Tuition: $400
- All amounts are in US dollars
SCHOLARSHIPS & DISCOUNTS
- Diversity Scholarships and Group Discounts available? Yes! Keep reading below
- Alumni Tuition: $100 – For students retaking any course in the Resilient Land Design certificate program (one, two, or three together are $100 total)
YOUR LEARNING JOURNEY
Who Should Take This Course? You!
- Food Forests & Forest Ecology is one of three courses in the Advanced Permaculture Certificate program in Resilient Land Design
- Each course is 6 weeks long and taught by our lead instructors, Starhawk and Charles Williams
- Choose your learning journey: invest in a specialization or take all three courses to complete your certificate
- The other two courses, Water and Site Management and Soil and Grasslands will run again in Spring 2023. The courses can be taken in any order for completion of the certificate
WHEN SHOULD YOU TAKE THIS COURSE?
- We recommend earning a Permaculture Design Certificate or having previous experience in permaculture before you take this advanced course. That said, we trust your judgment about your own learning needs and journey. Everyone who wants to join us will be accepted
- Love what you are learning and want to invest? The Regenerative Land Management diploma is a two to three year program for those who want to change their lives in becoming holistic land managers and Earth-based healers. Reach out to us for a conversation about next steps
PART 1: DEVELOPMENT & CARE OF FORESTS
- Class 1 – September 22: Forest Ecology. Ecosystem disturbance and succession. Forest ecosystems: reading and understanding your regional forests
- Class 2 – September 29: Forest Management Plans. Best practices and the role of fire in forest management
- Class 3 – October 6: Community Forests, Urban Forestry, and Management Plans. Collective forest management strategies and how to write a forest management plan
PART 2: FOOD FORESTS & PERENNIAL SYSTEMS
- Class 4 – October 13: Designing and Building Food Forests. How to approach design and select cultivars
- Class 5 – October 20: Management of Trees and Food Forests. Tools and techniques for maintaining a productive food forest
- Class 6 – October 27: Working with Partners. Case studies in working with governmental and nongovernmental agencies. Adapting management strategies in various environments and situations
FUNDING YOUR EDUCATION
SLIDING SCALE TUITION &
- Our goal is to increase accessibility for our paid trainings
- We offer two payment options in order to meet our audience where they are: 1) a one-time sliding scale payment, and 2) a three-part payment plan
- If you select the payment plan, you will pay an initial deposit of $250 and two monthly installments of $100. Our Student Support Team will assist you in setting up this process
- 15% off Standard Tuition for groups of 3-5 people ($425 total each)
- 20% off Standard Tuition for groups of 6-10 people ($400 total each)
- Must register together and indicate that you are a cohort
- Retake the course for $100 – whether you take one, two, or all three courses in the Resilient Land Design certificate, the total is only $100
- Earth Activist Training is committed to increasing the diversity of global permaculture and regenerative land movements
- We recognize the history of this land called the United States and Canada and seek to do what we can to rectify the deep injustices and systems of inequity that formed and continue to shape society today
Supported by your donations, a select number of pay-what-you-can Diversity Scholarships are available for Indigenous Peoples and Peoples of Color working in environmental and food justice
- These scholarships are pay-what-you-can with the recommended value of 50% of standard tuition ($250), but any amount will be accepted and appreciated
MEET Your Teachers
WHAT COMES NEXT
Are you ready for the next step in your learning journey?
Resilient Land Design: Advanced Certificate in Permaculture Design
The advanced permaculture certificate in Resilient Land Design is a stand-alone certificate of three courses (6 weeks each). It is also a core component of the Regenerative Land Management diploma.
If you have earned a Permaculture Design Certificate and are wondering what comes next, you are invited into this program which was designed to answer this question.
Regenerative Land Management Diploma
The Regenerative Land Management diploma consists of 7 courses, 1,200 internship hours (which can include students’ paid work), and one in-person Restoration Intensive, supported by guided mentorship and peer support. During the course of the diploma program, students will craft three permaculture designs, which will be submitted to the Permaculture Institute of North America (PINA), the diploma’s awarding body.
Have we piqued your interest? Please reach out for a conversation: email@example.com.
A core component of this course – and every Earth Activist Training course – is our private forum: Earth Activist Training Online network. This platform is where you will find course resources, your homework, and a network to connect with classmates and other Earth Activist students.
Recordings of each class will be available to you as a resource. You will have access to the course for a year after the course ends should you want to deepen your understanding of the material.
Check out when our programs and events are taking place.
Join our announcement list
Want to be notified of EAT course updates and new program information? Sign up to join our list.