Lake County CA
A Project of Earth Activist Training’s Regenerative Land Management Program
February 23-March 2@ New Paradigm College
Instructors: Starhawk and Co-Teacher Lindsay Dailey, plus guest teachers including Erik Ohlsen of Permaculture Skills Center
Cost: Sliding scale $1200-1500
Work trade and Diversity Scholarships available here
NOTE:: This course can be taken as a stand-alone course, or as fulfillment of one of the requirements in our long-term Regenerative Land Management Training program.
- You’ll gain hands-on experience as well as theoretical knowledge of how we can plan for climate change and it’s impacts, including fire, make our homes and land more fire-resilient, and aid the land’s recovery after fire.
- forest ecology and managing our forests for biodiversity, resilience, and reciprocity
- value-added products from regenerative forest management such as production of biochar, round pole building materials, and other artisanal crafts
- fire behavior, working with prescribed fire, fire mimicry
- home-hardening to make our homes more fire-resilient
- grazing for fuel reduction and fiber production
- supporting the land’s recovery after fire
- You’ll learn carbon-sequestering strategies for soil, water management, forestry and food growing.
- As well, you’ll gain experience in community organizing, design, planning, project management and team leadership.
The ten-day course includes one week of instruction at New Paradigm College in Lucerne, Lake County, CA that culminates in a weekend restoration eco-blitz on a community project that will engage the larger community. It ends with a final day of cleanup, evaluation, and celebration. Since 2015, 80% of Lake County has burned in California’s devastating wildfires. Lake County has below-average income and above-average unemployment—but it also has a strong, committed community who love their land and are determined to make it a model of resilient adaptation to the new climate realities. By partnering with many community organizations there, Earth Activist Training hopes to create a model of training and action that can provide on-the-ground, practical help and mitigation, education and inspiration.