Registration is Closed for 2023
This course will run again in 2024
Fire, Flood, Drought & Heat: Creating Community Resilience
As our climate and world change at an accelerated rate, we face many new and unprecedented challenges.
This course will help participants develop the confidence to step into this unknown future by learning innovative ways to design, adapt and prepare for climate change.
- Work on a farm, eco-village or land-based project
- Run a business or not-for-profit organization
- Are involved in urban or rural planning
- Or are an individual concerned about the future of your family and community
This course is for you!
Lead instructor Chris Gilmour and guests will help you proactively develop the skills, knowledge, plans and mental tools to live in our changing world and climate.
Learn about disaster prevention, mitigation and community response through a permaculture lens. One that works with nature and in a way that applies to your unique situation and needs.
Climate Change and disasters impact everyone, and we all have a role to play in keeping our communities safe. So we invite you to join us in this timely, vital training and solutions-focused think-tank.
WHO IS THIS TRAINING FOR?
Planning for emergencies and disasters is an integral part of regenerative design.
Regardless whether you own land or rent, live urban or rural, are old or young this course will give you the frameworks and tools you need to better prepare for our changing climate and world.
ABOUT THIS COURSE
As a community, we will explore holistic approaches to emergency and disaster preparedness through the lenses of:
- Deep knowledge of ecology and place
- Best practices of modern emergency planning
- Innovation in permaculture and regenerative design principles
- Equitable social and human needs: before, during, and after disasters
We will learn about Disaster Response and Community Organizing, including:
- Methods of community organizing
- Evaluating and responding to diverse community needs and determining priorities for action
- Methods for disseminating information when primary information systems are compromised
- Disaster planning, preparation, and mediation for wildfires, floods, storms, droughts, and earthquakes
- Civil defense preparations: shelters, resources, communication networks, warning signals, and civilian drills
- Post-disaster remediation and restoration in communities
WHAT TO EXPECT
As a student in this course, you will gain a working understanding of:
- How to assess the strengths and challenges of an organization, business, community or land management project related to climate change and disasters
- The types of hazards we may face and innovative approaches to prevention, mitigation, response and recovery
- The process of creating an emergency plan and implementing proactive activities to increase resilience and preparedness
- How to best utilize limited resources and time to focus on the highest leverage actions
- How to run an emergency response training through a mock disaster exercise
- How to tend to the social and mental health needs of people under stress or crisis with an emphasis on equity and empowerment
- Participants will have two home study assignments to complete that help them apply all of the class content to their unique situation and interests in regenerative design
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Location: Virtual
- Dates: January 12th -February 15th (6 weeks)
- Timing: The first class will be Thursday the 12th, 6:00-8:00 pm PST, all following classes will be on Wednesday, 6:00-8:00 pm PST
- Each session will have closed captions
- A certificate will be awarded upon successful completion of this course
- Classes are live and will be recorded and available within 48 hours
- Resources and recordings on the virtual class platform will be available for a year after the course completes
- Helpful Tool: Time Zone Converter
- We are dedicated to making our courses as accessible as possible by offering:
- Full certificate tuition: $300-$500
- Four part payment plans: $200 at registration with 2 monthly payments
- Audit tuition: $150-$250 (attend live sessions only)
- Alumni tuition: $100 to retake this course if you have already taken it before
- Diversity scholarships available: See below
- Group Discounts: See below
- All amounts are in US dollars
- See below for details
MEET YOUR TEACHER
Chris Gilmour, Lead Instructor
“I became obsessed with the study of ecology, survival, self-reliance and rediscovering my relationship with nature and human potential. This sent me on the adventure of a lifetime.
I apprenticed in permaculture and learned how to grow my own food. Studied herbal medicine and remote back-country first aid. Started my own modern-day homestead with my wife. And helped build a not-for-profit youth organization to reconnect kids and people back to the land.
With a desire to bridge all I had learned from practicing farming, survival and studying natural ecosystems, I wanted to now use this to face some of the most significant challenges I saw facing the modern world.
This led me back to school to study Emergency & Disaster Management, where I began a new journey.
Chris Outdoor’s consulting & mentoring/training practices bridge the best of modern emergency preparedness and response with the holistic practices of permaculture, natural awareness and leadership skills.
I’ve helped run disaster exercises and training for municipal governments, NGOs, ecovillages, farms, and one of my biggest passions, outdoor education organizations.”
LEARN WITH CHRIS
- To see other courses Chris teachers this year check out: Chris Outdoors
FUNDING YOUR EDUCATION
We are dedicated to making this course work for you, and offer a range of options for payment.
- Certificate Student. For Students looking to get the most out of this course. You will get full access to all course materials and ability to earn a certificate. Sliding scale tuition $300-$500
- Audit Student. Student who are looking to only attend the live sessions: ($150-$250)
- Alumni. Those who want a refresher or complete certificate. You need to have take this course with us before ($100)
- Payment Plan for Certificate Students. Four part payment plans ($100 down with 3 monthly payments of $100)
- Diversity scholarships. Available for indigenous and people of color working in environmental or food justice
- Group Discounts. For those who are for coming as a group of 2 or more people.
Every Abundant Tuition helps support a Diversity Scholarship.
FULL CERTIFICATE COURSE
This includes weekly live sessions, access to online class materials, access to google classroom. Requires completion of homework.
- Abundant Tuition: $500
- Standard Tuition: $400
- Resilient Tuition: $300
AUDIT COURSE PRICE
This only includes weekly live class sessions.
- Abundant Tuition: $250
- Standard Tuition: $200
- Resilient Tuition: $150
- All amounts are in US dollar
- Payment of $100 when you register.
- Three monthly installments of $100 ($400 total).
- Our Student Support Team will assist you in setting up this process
- Groups of 2-5 people – Discount of $125 off each ($275 total for each person)
- Cohort of 6-10 people – Discount of $150 off each ($250 per person)
- Must indicate who all is in your group at registration
- Earth Activist Training is committed to increasing the diversity of global permaculture and regenerative land movements
- We recognize the history of this land called the United States and Canada and seek to do what we can to rectify the deep injustices and systems of inequity that formed and continue to shape society today
Supported by your donations, a select number of pay-what-you-can Diversity Scholarships are available for Indigenous Peoplesand People of Color working in environmental and food justice.
- These scholarships are pay-what-you-can with the recommended value of 50% of standard tuition ($200), but any amount will be accepted and appreciated
If you have any questions we are always here to help: email@example.com
Registration is now closed for 2022
YOUR LEARNING JOURNEY
A core component of this course – and every Earth Activist Training course – is our private forum: Earth Activist Training Online network. This platform is where you will find course resources, your homework, and a network to connect with classmates and other Earth Activist students.
Recordings of each class will be available to you as a resource. You will have access to the course for a year after the course ends should you want to deepen your understanding of the material.
Have a question?
Check out the full schedule to find out when our programs and events are taking place.
Join our announcement list
Want to be notified of EAT course updates and new program information? Sign up to join our list.